In Walled Lake, Michigan, winter is easily the harshest season on our vehicles. Ensure your vehicle’s longevity and your own safety by following these winter car care tips ahead of the winter season.
- Get your routine maintenance: Before temperatures drop, bring your vehicle to Shuman Chrysler Dodge Jeep® Ram for its regular oil change and tire rotation. While your vehicle is in, we can also test your brakes and battery and add antifreeze if necessary.
- Test your lights and heater: Wintertime means more driving in darkness and poor visibility. Ensure all exterior lights are working and replace any that have burnt out. Then climb inside your vehicle and test your heater and defroster.
- Replace your windshield wiper blades: For even better visibility, install new windshield wiper blades that won’t leave streaks on your windshield.
- Pack an emergency kit: Your winter emergency kit should include warm clothes and blankets, water, batteries, a flashlight, a phone charger, flares, snacks, an ice scraper, jumper cables, and other small tools.
- Always check the weather before driving: If conditions are expected to be bad and you don’t absolutely need to leave the house, stay home. If you must brave dangerous conditions, tell someone you are leaving and when you’ll be home.
- Get snow tires: If you will regularly drive in the snow and on ice this winter, get snow tires for your vehicle.